Sunday, November 16, 2008

New Artist Alert - Poetry By Alex Edmondson

New Artist Alert - Poetry By Alex Edmondson
See more Poetry at her Blog: Click here

Poem 1

Something told me that I would go for a walk

I was eating oats when I heard it, the voice I mean.

I stood from my chair

Immediately

Placed the bowl of oats onto my head.

I stepped outside

The sky was not yet snowing

But precipitation still lined the air.

My oats stayed warm

I don’t know how.

I turned the corner of the block

“Hello” I said to a monkey dangling from a tree

He held out his hand.

“No monkey, these oats are mine.”

I kept walking.

My oats were still warm

Now the air was sticky and hot.

I was a cactus baking in the sun

I wanted water.

But all I had were oats.

I kept walking.

I saw a pond

I leaped to it

Balancing the oats on my head still.

A skill some would call it. The oats I mean.

A hippo emerged from the pond.

I paused. And nodded.

So did he.

And I took a straw

Out of my back pocket. I don’t know where it came from.

And drank the pond clean

Only leaving a mouse

That was once the hippo.

I turned the block.

And flashing traffic lights blinded me.

I walked into a taxi.

“Take me home, my oats are cold”

New Artist Alert - Poetry By Alex Edmondson
See more Poetry at her Blog: Click here

No comments: